What Should You Do After A Crash?
In the aftermath of a car accident, people often wonder what steps to take next. Should they go about their day if the damage does not seem serious, or do they need to address the crash immediately? How can they protect their access to the financial support they need?
At the Law Office of Reuben J. Donig, we can provide skilled counsel. Our San Mateo car accident attorney offers insights based on over 40 years of experience, guiding injured people through every stage of the process of making a claim after a crash.
5 Key Steps To Remember
The actions that a person takes after a car accident can lay the groundwork for their insurance claim and for legal action against negligent drivers. Some important steps after a crash include:
- Do not apologize – While it can be tempting to apologize after an accident, an insurance company may use that apology as evidence that you were at fault for the crash.
- Contact the authorities – Whether or not they believe that an accident was serious, reporting the incident to the police creates a record to refer to later.
- Seek medical attention – To ensure that injuries receive proper treatment and to document their link to the crash, injured people should meet with a health care provider as soon as possible after a crash.
- Document the scene – If possible, people should document important evidence at the scene. Recording key information like the license plate and insurance information of the other driver, taking pictures and writing down the contact information of witnesses can preserve evidence in case of future legal action.
- Contact an attorney – Whether or not people believe that legal action is necessary, they may benefit from the advice of an experienced attorney. Attorneys can also help them negotiate with insurance companies and preserve evidence relevant to the crash.
By taking the right steps after a crash, injured people can protect their legal rights and their access to the compensation they need.
Speak With An Experienced Attorney
To schedule a free consultation with an attorney with more than 40 years of experience, contact the Law Office of Reuben J. Donig by phone at 877-332-3710 or reach out to us online. Our firm charges no attorney fees unless you recover compensation.